Friday, July 23, 2010

Maybelline Express Finish 50 Second Nail color - Summer Sunset


I'm experiencing technical difficulties at the moment. I can't get my camera to transfer pictures to my computer properly. I did manage to upload two of the five I had of this polish, although they're hardly the best of the lot...I'll be working on fixing the issue.

Anyway, here's a polish that was much, much prettier in the bottle than it is on my nails. When I spotted this one in the store, it was a gorgeous coral pink color with an almost glass-fleck golden shimmer; the perfect summer color, I thought. Since I adore glass-fleck polishes, I snapped it right up - only to find that the drool-worthy gold shimmer didn't show up nearly as much on my nails. Disappointing. :(

I figured it was going to be somewhat sheer, so I used a white base coat. And sure enough - the pics show four coats plus top coat, but looking at my nails in the sunlight, I could still see some streakiness. It really could have used another coat. Now, I'm impressed if a polish is opaque and matches bottle-color in two coats, I'm not really phased by doing three coats, I can even tolerate a four-coater for the sake of a great color...but five is really pushing it, in my opinion. Sigh...I realize I may be biased here; I'm just not a fan of sheer polishes.

So...this wasn't a bad polish, by any means. It's still a rather pretty color, and it did dry quickly, although I didn't time it to see whether it dried in fifty seconds (Am I just imagining things, or did they change that? Didn't it used to be "sixty seconds"?). It just wasn't what I was expecting or hoping it would be, and was too sheer for my personal taste. Oh well...at least the polish I replaced it with for this weekend turned out to be a beauty - I'll have pics of that one up on Monday, once I've straightened out my camera issues.

I hope everyone has a terrific weekend. See you at the beginning of next week! :)

4 comments:

  1. A similar color I might recommend (you can actually see the gold) is Rimmel Pop Apricot. I got it quite a while back, so I don't know if they still have it, but it's a pinky coral with gold microglitter. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a very pretty pink shade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zara: Thanks for the recommendation! :) I'll have to look for it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia: Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I read and appreciate every comment and will do my best to reply within a day or two.